I am huge fan of blueberry anything. I love it in my oatmeal, frozen with milk as dessert, in baked goods, in jelly..ah just about anywhere. When I got thinking about what to serve tomorrow morning for our “cheer on the marathon runners” breakfast I couldn’t resist heading to the store to make these.
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
7. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
8. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.